Venice in the Winter

Venice in the Winter
Picture perfect ... even me!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ciampino Airport on 20 December

You wouldnt believe it! I had checked in my luggage at Ciampino Airport and went outside for some fresh air when hundreds of people started pouring out. I must confess in my ignorance I thought mmm ... a large flight has arrived. But it was not so. Oh no.. nothing so simple. There was a bomb scare and the airport was evacuated. With helicopters overhead, police cars zooming in from everywhere and general chaos (as is typical in Italy) the Airport was closed and flights delayed.

A great start to Xmas.... and thanks to the kind person (who shall remain un-named) who responded to my text advising him of the chaos 'Well at least you're not in the air!!'... a very sobering thought.