Venice in the Winter

Venice in the Winter
Picture perfect ... even me!

Saturday, October 13, 2007

'The' Flight.. and first day in Roma

The trip over here was just terrible.

I arrived at Stanstead at 10am for a 12.45 flight and I only just through boarding at 12.10! My suitcase was heavy, yes I grant you as it was full of books so after standing in the queue for 40 minutes I then had to go and stand in another queue to pay excess luggage.. they only allow you 15kg so I had to pay £82.

I was then allowed back in the front of the queue to put my bag through... only to find they class a laptop as a bag and you are only allowed one carry on bag.. not a handbag and a bag just a bag. So I had to go through the whole proces again.

I was almost in tears and I think the girl knew. I went to the front of the queue, much to the disgust of everyone else and said.. I am sorry but I didnt realise I can't take this laptop on board.. in NZ you are allowed a laptop and I didn't know'... she took pity on me, didn't charge me and labelled it for me.. but no.. it doesnt end there. If I wanted it to go as fragile I had to take it to another queue to go through the scanner.

Still more to come.. I then had to wait another 30 minutes in Security and once through security where you get well and truly frisked BELIEVE IT!! .. unfortunately it was by a woman! I then had to take my shoes off at another line. Yes, everyone has to take their shoes off and walk through another scanner while the shoes go through separately. I guess that's London for you.

After an uneventful flight which was only 2hrs and 5min and the bus from the airport another 45 minutes with me trying to manouvre a 32kg suitcase, laptop and backpack which has now disintegrated! Needless to say when I did finally arrive I didnt venture out and so only started exploring Monday morning.

Rome is warm still, a mild 28 degrees when I arrived yesterday afternoon and the sun is shining brightly this morning althogh I am in jeans.

My digs leave a bit to be desired. It's a room on the first floor of a very old building right in the heart of Rome, that is its a 7 minutes walk to Termini Station which is great as its only 2 minutes to my school which means no money for busses. On the first floor are two other bedrooms with students, a shared kitchen and a shared bathroom. Phillipa, one of the other students came and introduced herself to me last night on her way out. She completed the course a month or so ago and is now teaching!! After talking to her I felt a bit more confident about getting a job teaching as she said it was easy to get a job once you had completed the CELTA course.. so time will tell.

I was feeling very sorry for myself last night.. no TV or Radio or music of any kind... stuck in one room with no groceries etc but this morning everything seems a bit brighter. I guess I will just have to get my shit together, meet other students on the course and start working hard. I start officially on Wednesday... so more news from me at the weekend.